So, you have just popped the question and your fiancée said YES! Both of you want to get a home of your own. Feeling excited and overwhelmed with all the new HDB grants and regulations? How do I apply for BTO?
How to Apply For BTO Online
When you and your partner have decided on getting a BTO to build your love nest, the first thing both of you need to do is to check your BTO eligibility.
Want to learn how to apply for BTO step by step? Read our guide below.
If you fulfill either one of the conditions below:
- One of the buyers must be a Singapore Citizen (SC), applying with another SC or PR as a family nucleus. Family nucleus is a makeup of spouse and children (if any), parents and siblings (if any), or children under your legal custodian for widowed or divorced parents.
- For the fiancée scheme, with additional or special CPF housing grants, you need to register your marriage before taking possession of the property or within 3 months of key collection.
- Single citizens aged 35 and above are only eligible for 2-room flats in non-mature estates.
- Singapore citizen (SC) with a non-citizen spouse with a valid visit pass, work pass (WP / EP) are only eligible for 2-room flats in non-mature estates.
- Single citizen aged 35 and above, apply for a flat with up to 3 single co-applicants are eligible for 2-room flats in non-mature estates.
On top of that, you need to ensure that your income ceiling has not exceeded the framework. Our government has recently increased the income ceiling, to assist more citizens in securing their dream home.
- 2-room flexi flat – capped at $6000 or $12,000 for short lease flats, with a maximum of 45 years lease
- 3-room flat – #$7,000 in non-mature estates or $14,000 in mature estates
- 4-room flat and above – ^$14,000 for family ^$21,000 for extended or multi-generation family
- ^ Applicable for sales exercise launched from September 2019. For flat applications received for sales exercises launched before September 2019, income ceilings are $12,000 and $18,000 (if purchasing with extended or multi-generation family)
- # Applicable for sales exercise launched from September 2019. For flat applications received for sales exercises launched before September 2019, income ceilings are $6,000 or $12,000 depending on the project
Source from HDB
To check if you fulfill any of the conditions above, you may log in to HDB portal:
For opening booking of flats, you may login to:
Flats Available for Selection 2020
Shortlist Your HDB Flats 6 Months Before Launch
The table below shows the HDB flat selection area for 2020.
|Built To Order|
|Month of Launch||Town / Estate||Flat Mix||Estimated No. of New Flats|
|February 2020||Non Mature Town / Estate|
|Mature Town / Estate|
|May 2020||Non Mature Town / Estate|
|Choa Chu Kang||2-room||570|
|Mature Town / Estate|
Source from HDB
Sales of Balance Flat
Flats available for selection
HDB BTO Flat Balloting
Apply for HDB BTO
To better help our citizens, our government has also moved forward the BTO launches areas to 6 months before the launch. Compared to the previous 3 months announcement, you know have more time to plan and discuss with your spouse and/or family for better planning. Start planning and learn how to apply for bto.
Constantly refer to HDB website for the latest launch and news release. (https://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/residential/buying-a-flat/new/bto-sbf)
Interested in an area, simply pay $10 to participate in balloting. Expect to wait between 3 weeks to 1 month for balloting results to be out.
You may also want to consider the following grants when deciding which area is more suitable for you:
- Parenthood Priority Scheme (PPS) – First timer married couples with children gets priority balloting
- Multi-Generation Priority Scheme (MGPS) – Assists parents and their married children to get BTO in the same estate
- Married Child Priority Scheme (MCPS) – Helps married children live near to their parents, either in the same estate or in a neighbouring estate
- Third Child Priority Scheme (TCPS) – Families with more than 2 children can apply for TCPS. Up to 5% of BTO and SBF are allocated to eligible applicants.
- Assistance Scheme for Second Timers (Divorced/Widowed Parents) (Assist) – They aid divorced or widowed parents with children under 16 years-old.
With so many different schemes in place, we know that our government is maximising all resources to help families get their dream-home soonest. Better yet, stay close parents so they can help take care of grandchildren when both parents are at work. Creating a healthy and positive community to live in.
HDB Mortgage Loan
HDB Loan Eligibility (HLE) Application or Approval In Principle (AIP)
Once you have sent in your application for HDB balloting, you will want to prepare a copy of HLE or AIP. HLE is required if you are taking HDB loan. However, if you are not eligible for HDB loan, you may apply for bank loan. Likewise, you need to obtain AIP from the banks if you are taking up bank loan. AIP will give you an indicative amount for your mortgage loan.
You will typically need to submit these documents:
- Submit a Credit Bureau Score (CBS)
- Verify your income and employment
- Personal particulars
- Savings and other assets
- A copy of Sales and Purchase
HDB application status
HDB loan vs bank loan
If you are buying an HDB property for the first time, congratulations. You have reached your first milestone to be a homeowner. Unless you have loads of cash sitting in the bank doing nothing, you really must look at property loans.
There are 2 types of loans available, HDB loans and bank loans.
The mortgage lending market is competitive and there are many different types of packages, that’s why it is a good habit to start looking around before you commit to one.
There are more criteria to fulfil if you choose to take on an HDB loan. They are but not limited to:
- At least 1 Singaporean buyer
- Income ceiling cannot exceed $14,000
- EC income ceiling cannot exceed $16,000
- Monthly income ceiling for singles age 35 and above cannot exceed $
- Maximum of 2 HDB concessionary loans per person
- Borrowers cannot own any private property and or have disposed any private property within the last 30 months
- Buyers must one own more than 1 hawker stall, commercial or industrial property. IF they do own one, the business must be either self-operated or the sole source of income.
HDB First Appointment
Select BTO Unit & Pay Option Fee
Flat selection is done during HDB first appointment. Both applicants must bring:
- Appointment letter
- IC of all applicants
- Mortgage Loan Letter – HLE or AIP
- Enhanced Housing Grant Form (insert https://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/doc/ehg-form)
Your queue number determines how soon or late you get to choose a unit. If your queue number exceeds the number of units, you may have to wait until everyone has chosen before you get to choose. You may or may not get a unit. However, you can always participate in the next balloting if you do not get it this time. Not everyone gets a unit successfully on the first balloting.
In this scenario, lets assume that you have a queue number and is meeting the HDB office to select a unit based on the list of available flats. After you have selected your unit, you have to submit the HLE is you are taking HDB loan.
You will also pay an option fee:
- 2-Room – $500
- 3-Room – $1,000
- 4/5 Room and Executive Flat – $2,000
Read Also: Here’s What Happens When You Give Up Your HDB BTO Queue Number (not written yet)
Sign the Sales & Purchase
Please bear in mind that you have to sign the Sales & Purchase (S&P) within 4 months from the date you book a flat. Ensure that you have prepared your loan arrangements by this time.
When you sign your lease agreement, you will also need to pay the downpayment, stamp duties and legal fees.
The downpayment you need to pay depends on how much mortgage loan is being offered to you.
If you are taking HDB loan, then you will need to pay at least 10% of the purchase price using cash or CPF
Bank loan applicants will need to prepare 25% downpayment, of which 5% is cash and the remaining 15% can be paid using CPF.
Legal & Stamp Duty Fees
Legal and stamp duty fees are payable using a mix of cash and CPF.
Staggered Downpayment Scheme
To assist you further, you may also check if you are eligible for the staggered downpayment scheme.
You only need to pay half of the downpayment when you sign Agreement for Lease, usually within the 4 months booking period. The remaining 50% will be paid when you are collecting your keys for your new HDB flat.
- First timer Couples
Married couples and those applying under the Fiancé/ Fiancée Scheme qualify for the scheme if they meet these conditions:
- Booked a new 2-, 3-, 4-, or 5-room uncompleted flat in any of HDB’s sales exercises
- Are both first-timer applicants, or a couple comprising a first-timer and second-timer
- Flat application is submitted on or before the younger applicant’s 30th birthday
- Flat owners right-sizing to 2-room or 3-room flats in Non-Mature Estates
Flat owners can also qualify for the Staggered Downpayment Scheme if they:
- Bought an uncompleted 2- or 3-room flat in a non-mature estate under HDB’s sales launches
- Have not sold the existing flat, or the sale of the existing flat has yet to be legally completed at the point of flat application
Get Your Keys
Congratulations! All you need to do now is to wait for HDB to notify you for key collection.